inicio novedades historia revisiones taller galeria enlaces mapaweb

Convair F-102 Delta Dagger
Interceptor norteamericano
U.S. interceptor fighter

DATOS TÉCNICOS
(Modelo 8-10)
TECHNICAL DATA
(Model 8-10)
TIPO:Caza interceptor monoplaza. TYPE:Single-seat interceptor fighter.
TRIPULANTES:1 CREW:1
ENVERGADURA:11'61 m. SPAN:38.1 ft.
LONGITUD:20'87 m. LENGTH:68.5 ft.
ALTURA:6'46 m. HEIGHT:21.2 ft.
SUPERFICIE ALAR:61.45 m². WING AREA:661.5 ft².
PESO EN VACÍO:8.640 kg. EMPTY WEIGHT:19,050 lb.
MOTOR: Un turborreactor Pratt & Whitney J57-P-25 con postquemador. ENGINE:One Pratt & Whitney J57-P-25 turbojet with afterburner.

ARMAMENTO:

  • Seis misiles guiados aire-aire GAR-10, posteriormente 2A Falcon.
  • Veinticuatro cohetes FFAR de 2'75 pulgadas.
  • Posteriormente el armamento usual se componía de seis misiles AIM-4C, 4D, 4E o 4F Falcon o tras Falcon y un AIM-26A o B de cabeza nuclear.

ARMAMENT:

  • Six Hughes GAR-10 later 2A Falcon air-to-air guided missiles.
  • Twenty-four 2.75in FFAR rockets.
  • Later typical load was six AIM-4C,
    4D, 4E, 4F Falcons or three Falcons plus one nuclear-tipped AIM-26A or -B.
VELOCIDAD MÁX.:1.327 km/h o Mach 1.25. MAX. SPEED:825 mph or Mach 1.25.
TECHO:16.459 m. CEILING:54,000 ft.
ALCANCE:3.429 km. RANGE:1,350 ml.
PRIMER VUELO:24 de Octubre 1953. FIRST FLIGHT:24 October 1953.
VERSIONES:9 VERSIONS:9
CONSTRUIDOS:1.000 BUILT:1,000


YF-102 en vuelo
YF-102 in flight


Vista inferior
Bottom view


Bodega de armas
Missile bay

Con la precipitación que produjo la desmovilización tras la Segunda Guerra Mundial, los EE.UU. quedaron casi indefensos ante un ataque aéreo hacia 1947. Quedaban tan sólo unas pocas estaciones de radar costeras obsoletas, una escuadrilla de Republic P-47 y otra de cazas nocturnos P-61 para todo el país. Los acontecimientos en el extranjero (especialmente la aparición del bombardero soviético Tu-4) demostró el error de esta política. Se organizó un sistema de defensa provisional basado en los Northrop F-89C, Lockheed F-94B y las estaciones de radar. Con el objetivo de tener un sistema más perfeccionado llegado el año 1954, la Fuerza Aérea organizó una conferencia en mayo de 1949 con la asistencia de representantes de la industria aérea y electrónica. Para afrontar el reto, se cambió el enfoque tradicional: en lugar de que la Fuerza Aérea publicase sus requisitos específicos, ésta señalaría sus problemas y necesidades e invitaría a la industria a remitir propuestas que condujesen a un sistema de armas integrado (designado WS201A) optimizado para la defensa aérea. Dado que el desarrollo del complejo sistema de control electrónico tardaría más que el del interceptor, esa sección del plan (denominado Proyecto MX 1179) se realizó primero. Un concurso eligió el sistema de selección de tiro MA-1 de Hughes Aircraft Company y su misil Falcon (GAR-1) en mayo de 1951.

El mes siguiente se realizó una petición formal a los fabricantes para la construcción de una célula (Proyecto MX-1554). De las nueve propuestas remitidas por seis fabricantes, se escogieron las de Convair, Lockheed y Republic para que continuasen con el desarrollo preliminar un año después, pero el 11 de septiembre de 1951 Convair recibió un contrato por su diseño delta que fue designado F-102. El contrato solicitaba un programa inicial de pruebas con el turborreactor Westinghouse J40 y la introducción del Wright J67 (un Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire construido bajo licencia) de 6.800 kg en los aviones de producción. Por vez primera para el programa del F-102 se llevó a cabo una nueva política de adquisiciones. En lugar de iniciar la producción a gran escala una vez aceptado el modelo, el plan, llamado Cook-Cragie, realizaba un pedido pequeño de aviones durante las pruebas de vuelo, de modo que cualquier modificación necesaria se puediese incorporar a la cadena de montaje y así disponer de aparatos listos para el combate una vez se iniciase la producción en masa.

Sin embargo, pronto se hizo evidente que no todas las avanzadas características del avión estarían listas a tiempo para el "Interceptor 1954" y esto, unido a la sustitución del motor Pratt & Whitney J57-P-11, llevó a diseñar un calendario menos ambicioso y a la adopción de un "Caza Interino", que sería un F-102A con turborreactor J57 y un desarrollo parcial del sistema de tiro MA-1, llamado MG-3. La designación del "Interceptor Final" sería F-102B. El prototipo YF-102 era un XF-92A con proporciones ligeramente mayores excepto en el morro y las tomas de aire laterales. Estructuralmente era muy diferente. El esqueleto, compuesto de largueros y costillas de aluminio recubiertos de láminas del mismo material, llevaba el combustible en los espacios intercostales, los sistemas electrónicos en el fuselaje y seis misiles GAR-1 en una bodega ventral oculta. Además podía ser equipado con 24 cohetes aéreos de aletas plegables (FFAR) en lanzaderas dispuestas en las compuertas de la bodega de misiles. Una vez terminado el prototipo YF-102, se trasladó desde San Diego a la base de Edwards donde voló por vez primera el 24 de octubre de 1953. Este aparato fue dado de baja al sufrir un aterrizaje forzoso tras un fallo en su motor en sus séptimo vuelo el 2 de noviembre. El segundo YF-102 hizo su primer vuelo el 11 de enero de 1954.

Más grave aún fue el descubrimiento, realizado durante las pruebas en el tunel de viento a inicios de 1953, de que los cáculos de resistencia en vuelo eran completamente erróneos y que el F-102, diseñado para volar a velocidades supersónicas, sería incapaz de rebasar Mach 1. Para salvar al F-102, Convair aplicó la teoría de la regla del área, concebida por el experto en aerodinámica del NACA Richard T. Whitcomb, y rediseñó el fuselaje alargándolo en 3'35 metros en la raíz alar en lo que se conoció como la "botella de cola" o configuración "Marilyn Monroe". También se instaló una carlinga nueva, se sustituyó el turborreactor J57-P-23 y se redujo el peso reduciendo estructuras innecesarias para el nuevo motor Pratt & Whitney. Denominado Modelo 8-90, el primero de los cuatro YF-102A salió de San Diego tras 117 días de trabajo para ser llevado a la base de Edwards, donde voló el 20 de diciembre de 1954. Al día siguiente se llegó con facilidad a Mach 1, pero la banda de altitud en operaciones supersónicas del F-102 era aún estrecha.

Tras el costoso rediseño, se inició la producción a gran escala en la Planta 2 de San Diego, y el primer 8-10 o F-102A alzó el vuelo el 24 de junio de 1955. Intentando recuperar algo del tiempo perdido, se emplearon 45 aparatos en pruebas en la bases de Edwards y Holloman. La primera entraga a una unidad operativa del Mando de Defensa Aérea tuvo lugar el 1 de mayo de 1956, casi 3 años más tarde de lo proyectado inicialmente, al recibir la 327ª Escuadrilla Interceptora de Cazas sus F-102 en la base George, California. De esta forma el Delta Dagger (así llamado desde 1957) se convirtió en el primer avión delta operativo en el mundo capaz de sobrepasar Mach 1 y en el primer caza norteamericano que entró en servicio sin armas de fuego.

Hacia la primavera de 1956 el modelo ya no podía considerarse interino al solicitarse 875 aparatos cuyas entregas llegaron a septiembre de 1958. El 30 de mayo de 1956, se concedió un contrato inicial para la producción del F-102B (Modelo 8-24) "final", pero en septiembre la designación fue cambiada de manera oficial a F-106A.

El Modelo 8-80/YF-102 (aparato 52-7995) fue reformado con bordes de ataque combados, puntas de ala reflejas, aerofrenos más largos, deriva más alta para evitar los efectos del acoplamiento en los toneles y divisores en las entradas de aire más prominentes para reducir el ruido en cabina. A partir del avión número 66, estas reformas se aplicaron a los aviones de serie, que iban pintados con un gris especial que evitaba la corrosión de las explosiones de los misiles. Tiempo después estas modificaciones también se incorporaron a los aparatos producidos anteriormente. La última modificación estructural fue el rediseño del ala "Case XX" introducido en los aparatos del Lote 75 (avión 56-1275 y siguientes).

El TF-102A (Modelo 8-12), entrenador de combate avanzado biplaza con asientos en paralelo, voló por vez primera el 31 de octubre de 1955. Fue el primero de 111. Desde el tercer aparato (54-1353), todos los TF-102A tenían la cola más alta, pero eran subsónicos excepto en maniobras de picado.

En 1957 Convair inició un programa de modernización para los primeros aparatos que prosiguió durante 6 años y que incluía la sustitución del sistema de control de tiro MG-3 por el MG-10, tanques de combustible desechables y un sistema de visión por infrarrojos. Los cohetes FFAR de 2 pulgadas originales se reemplazaron por otros de 2'75 pulgadas para ser finalmente reemplazados todos ellos por dos AIM-26A Falcon (GAR-11) de cabeza nuclear o hasta 6 misiles AIM-4, o una combinación de ambos.

El F-102A sustituyó al North American F-86D como caza más numeroso, alcanzando su máximo uso en 1958 cuando estaba operativo con 26 escuadrillas del Mando de Defensa Aérea, dos del Mando Aéreo de Alaska y la 327ª Escuadrilla de Thule (Groenlandia). Pero tras 1960 fue reemplazado gradualmente por los McDonnell F-101B Voodoos y F-106A Delta Darts, siendo transferidos en su mayoría a unidades de la Guardia Nacional Aérea o la USAFE. La Escuadrilla 182ª de la ANG de Tejas fue la primera en recibir los F-102 a mediados de los años 60 y le siguieron 22 unidades más.

La primera unidad en recibir los F-102 en Europa fue la Escuadrilla 525ª basada en Bitburg (Alemania Occidental), a la que se entragaron 25 aparatos entre enero y marzo de 1959. Otras cinco escuadrillas basadas en Alemania Occidental, España y Holanda la siguieron. También se entregaron a algunas unidades de la PACAF, la primera fue la Escuadrilla 16ª con base en Naha (Okinawa), que los recibió en marzo de 1959. Los aviones de la 509ª Escuadrilla se transfirieron a la base de Tan Son Nhut (Vietnam del Sur) en marzo de 1962, permaneciendo en este país y Thailandia hasta 1969 en misiones de defensa aérea. La retirada a gran escala de los F-102 comenzó a finales de 1969. La última unidad del Mando de Defensa Aérea en sustituirlos (por F-4C Phantoms) fue la 57ª Escuadrilla con base en Keflavik (Islandia) a mediados de 1973. El último vuelo operativo de un F-102A lo realizaron dos aparatos de la 154ª Escuadrilla de Entrenamiento de la ANG de Hawaii con base en Hickam (Honolulú), y tuvo lugar el 22 de octubre de 1976.

A inicios de 1968 se transfirieron unos 50 F-102A y TF-102A a Turquía de los excedentes de la USAF tras ser revisados por CASA en Sevilla. Fueron asignados a las Escuadrillas Nº 142 y 181 basadas respectivamente en Murted y Merzifon hasta el final de la década. Grecia adquirió unos 25 aviones para el Ala 114 de Tanagra.

En 1953 Sperry Rand transformó 6 aviones de los casi 400 almacenados en la base Davis-Monthan (Arizona) en QF-102A, aviones teledirigidos con piloto, para servir de blancos en el programa de desarrollo del McDonnell-Douglas F-15. El primer vuelo se realizó en marzo de 1974. Posteriormente Sperry convirtió 65 aparatos en auténticos vehículos no tripulados para el programa Pave Deuce, designados PQM-102A y apodados SPADs, para entrenamiento de misiles antiaéreos. El primero de ellos voló el 13 de agosto de 1974 en la base Holloman (Nuevo Méjico). Este fue el primer avión teledirigido con postquemadores y se cree que también el primero a gran escala sin piloto.


In the haste to demobilise following the Second World War, the USA was left almost undefended against air attack by 1947. There remained only a few obsolescent coastal radar stations, one squadron of Republic P-47 and one of Northrop P-61 night fighters for the whole country. Events abroad (especially the appearance of the Soviet Tu-4 bomber) showed the error of this policy. An interim system was organised around the Northrop F-89C and Lockheed F-94B and the radar network. But to develop better defence by 1954, the aircraft and electronic industries were asked to participate in a conference at Air Force headquarters in May 1949. A new approach was introduced: instead of issuing precise specifications, the Air Force outlined its problems and invited industry to submit proposals leading to an integrated weapons system (designated WS201A) optimised for the air defence role. As development of the complex electronic control system would take longer than the interceptor itself, that portion of the package, designated Project MX-1179, came first. A competition led to selection of the Hughes Aircraft Company's MA-1 fire control system and its Falcon (GAR-1) missile in May 1951.

The following month, a formal request to manufacturers for proposals for an airframe (Project MX-1554) was issued. From the nine proposals submitted by six manufacturers, Convair, Lockheed and Republic were chosen to proceed with preliminary development a year later, but on 11 September 1951, Convair received a contract for its delta design which was designated F-102. The contract called for the initial test programme to be flown with the Westinghouse J40 turbojet with production aircraft fitted with the 15,000lb Wright J67 (licence-built Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire). A new procurement policy was tried for the first time for the F-102 programme. Instead of starting full scale production as soon as the new model was accepted, the plan called for delivery of a modest number of aircraft during flight tests so that any major changes could be incorporated into permanent factory tooling in order for combat-ready F-102s to be delivered when mass production started.

However, it was soon apparent that not all the advanced features would be ready in time for the '1954 Interceptor' and this problem, coupled with the substitution of the 14,500lb Pratt & Whitney J57-P-11, led to a less ambitious schedule with an 'Interim Fighter' consisting of the F-102A with the J57 together with a partial development of the MA-1, the MG-3, with the F-102B being the designation of the 'Ultimate Interceptor'. Manufacture of a preliminary order for ten YF-102s began in April 1952. The YF-102 was basically the XF-92A scaled up by 1:22:1 except for the slim nose and lateral air intakes. Structurally it was far different. A strong skeleton of milled aluminium spars and longerons, covered with aluminion skins, carried the fuel in wing spaces, the electronics in the fuselage and six GAR-1 missiles in a concealed ventral bay. In addition, 24 folding-fin aerial rockets (FFAR) could be fitted into channels contained in the fast-acting missile-bay doors. Trucked from San Diego to Edwards AFB, the first YF-102 flew on 24 October, 1953, but was written off in a forced landing following an engine failure on its seventh flight, on 2 November. The second YF-102 flew on 11 January, 1954.

But more serious was the discovery made during wind-tunnel tests earlier in 1953 that drag estimates were seriously wrong and that the F-102 intended for high supersonic speeds, would be incapable of exceeding Mach 1. To save the F-102, Convair decided to apply the area rule theory, conceived by NACA arodynamicist Richard T Whitcomb, and undertook a major redesign to this principle with an 11ft longer fuselage pinched along the wing join in what became known as the 'coke bottle' or 'Marilyn Monroe' configuration. In addition, a new canopy was fitted, the J57-P-23 substituted, and the aircraft lightened by reducing excess structures no longer required with the lighter Pratt & Whitney engine. Designated Model 8-90, the first of four YF-102As was rolled out at San Diego just 117 days after redesign started and, after being trucked to Edwards, was flown on 20 December, 1954. The following day Mach 1 was easily exceeded, but the height band for supersonic operation with the F-102A remained narrow.

Following a costly re-tooling, full scale production began at Plant 2, San Diego, and the first Model 8-10 or F-102A flew on 24 June, 1955. In an attempt to gain some of the time lost, forty-five F-102As were used for test work at Edwards and Holloman AFB. The first delivery to an operational Air Defense Command unit took place on 1 May, 1956, almost three years later than originally envisioned, when the 327th Fighter Interceptor Squadron was delivered a F-102A at George AFB, California. Thus the Delta Dagger (named in 1957) became the first operational delta aircraft in the world capable of exceeding Mach 1 and the first USAF fighter to enter service without any guns.

By spring 1956, with orders for 875 F-102As the type could no longer be considered interim and deliveries continued until September 1958. On 30 May, 1956, an initial contract was awarded for the 'ultimate' F-102B (Model 8-24), but in September the designation was officially revised to F-106A.

The remaining Model 8-80/YF-102 (52-7995) was refitted with a cambered wing leading edge, reflex wingtips, larger air-brakes, a taller fin to limit the effects of roll coupling, and prominent air intake splitters to reduce cockpit noise. With effect from the 66th aircraft, these modifications were adopted for production aircraft, all of which were painted with a special grey paint to prevent corrosion from missile rocket blasts. Subsequently, most of these improvements were incorporated into the earlier aircraft. The last structural modification was the redesigned 'Case XX' wing introduced on Block 75 aircraft (56-1275 onwards).

A side-by-side two-seat combat proficiency trainer version, the TF-102A (Model 8-12), was first flown on 31 October, 1955, the first of 111. From the third aircraft (54-1353) all TF-102As had the taller tail, but excluding a dive manoeuvre, it remained subsonic.

In 1957, Convair began a modernisation programme for early aircraft that continued for six years and which included the replacement of the MG-3 fire control system with the MG-10, the addition of wing drop tanks, and an infra-red sighting system. The original 2in rockets were replaced with 2.75in FFARs and eventually the rocket armament was discarded altogether to enable two nuclear-tipped AIM-26A Falcons (GAR-11l) to be carried or up to six AIM-4 missiles, or a combination.

The F-102A replaced the North American F-86D as the most numerous interceptor and at its peak in 1958, was in service with twenty-six ADC and two Alaskan Air Command squadrons, including one (the 327th FIS) at Thule, Greenland. But after 1960, it was gradually replaced by McDonnell F-101B Voodoos and F-106A Delta Darts and most transferred to Air National Guard and USAFE urits. The 182nd FIS, Texas ANG, at Kelly AFB, was the first to receive Delta Daggers in mid-1960 and was followed by twenty-two more units.

The first squadron in Europe to receive F-102As was the 525th FIS at Bitburg, West Germany, which received twenty-five aircraft between January and March 1959. Five other squadrons based in West Germany, Spain and The Netherlands followed. F-102As were also passed to a few PACAF squadrons, the first being the 16th FIS at Naha AB, Okinawa, which re-equipped in March 1959. Aircraft from the 509 FIS were transferred to Tan Son Nhut AB, South Vietnam, in March 1962, and the Deuce (as it was known) remained there and in Thailand until 1969 operating air defense missions. Large-scale retirement of the F-102 began in late 1969, although the last ADC unit, the 57th FIS at Keflavik, Iceland, did not replace its aircraft (with McDonnell F-4C Phantoms) until mid-1973. The last operational flight by a USAF F-102A was made on 22 October, 1976, by two aircraft of the 154th TFG, Hawaii ANG, from Hickam AFB, Honolulu.

Approximately fifty F-102As and TF-102As were transferred to Turkey from USAF stocks (after overhaul by CASA at Seville) beginning in 1968 and assigned to Nos.142 and 181 Squadrons at Murted and Merzifon respectively until the end of the decade. Greece acquired about half that number for 114 Wing at Tanagra.

In 1973, Sperry Rand converted six aircraft from the nearly four hundred F-102As stored at Davis-Monthan, Arizona, into QF-102A piloted drones for use as targets in the McDonnell Douglas F-15 development programme. The first flight was made in March 1974. Subsequently, Sperry converted sixty-five aircraft under the Pave Deuce programme as true drones, designated PQM-102A and nicknamed SPADs, for anti-aircraft missile training and the first flew at Holloman AFB, New Mexico, on 13 August, 1974. This was the first full-scale drone with afterburner and believed to be the first full-scale drone without provision for a pilot.

FUENTES Y REFERENCIA - SOURCES & REFERENCE

John Wegg, General Dynamics Aircraft and their Predecessors, Putnam, 1990.

©www.j-models.org